Re: Type of (the denotation of) a plain literal

At 18:41 15/01/2003 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:

>I'm trying to answer a question that's come up in the CC/PP working group.
>
>Can a plain literal be regarded as an instance of xsd:string?
>
>I think it's fairly clear that a plain literal with a language tag is not
>an xsd:string,

Yes

My recollection is that the WG discussed this at a telecon and agreed to
arrange things to that it would be possible that a plain literal without a
lang tag could denote a member of the value space of xsd:string, i.e. we
agreed that a plain literal with a lang tag did not denote a pair with a
null lang tag, but just denoted a string.

If this needs clarifying, I suggest we do so in last call, and as Patrick
says, as part of clarifying the class hierarchy of xsd datatypes.