Re: Social meanings [was:Re: interpretations, time, and HTTP...]

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:02, pat hayes wrote:
[...]
> In general , this whole issue is a can of worms to get exactly right,
> so the less specific we are, the better, seems to me. We should be
> diluting the colors here, not painting bold clear strokes.

Perhaps; but the WG did make a decision on this issue (rdfms-assertion)
so the editor's can't backtrack too far without reopening the
issue...

> Can't we just say that all uris can be traced to their 'owner' using
> standard (ie non-RDF-particular) protocols and registration rules,
> and that any uses of a uriref in any RDF published by the owner of
> the uriref can be taken to be assertions made by the owner, and hence
> authoritative, but that the owner is not necessarily responsible for
> assertions made in RDF published by others, even if they use the
> owner's URIs. In other words, I cannot be held responsible for
> anything that someone else says using my vocabulary; but I am
> responsible for using other people's vocabulary in ways that reflect
> their published intended meanings.

Yes, that seems to cover it...

I don't exactly understand how that's different from what
you're arguing against, but if you like those
words, so do I.

> Seems to me that this is about all that we need to say (maybe with
> some examples)

yes, please.