RE: Proposal to drop S from consideration

Firstly, let me apologise to the WG for being so
vocal and expressing my opinions and concerns so
freely despite having so recently joined the WG.

My intent is not to "stir things up" but to (hopefully)
contribute to a better RDF.

That said...

I have. My apologies for paraphrasing my interpretation rather
than providing only quotations.

My proposal to drop the S approach is based on the following points
of the charter:

"Backwards compatibility with existing RDF applications is a priority
for the RDF Core Working Group."

tempered with

"... it is the responsibility of this group to not let near-term
deployment considerations grossly increase the future costs
(to implementors, authors, users, etc.) of new features."

I presume that "applications" here does not mean only "software"
and that we should also be concerned about adopting changes which
may have ramifications that are not fully understood or which may
increase the burden of implementation over the long term (in other
words, let's be sure of what we add because we're likely to be
stuck with it for a long while).

I believe that we are generally in agreement that the S proposal is
not compatible to common usage, and therefore raises backwards
compatibility issues with existing content and systems based on
commonly used idioms.

But that is not my sole concern.

While we must consider the benefit of making some non-backwards
compatible changes which have clear and substantial benefit to future
applications, we must also consider the impact that changes and
extensions may have both to implementors as well as to content
producers.

I do not see that the S approach is sufficiently superior
to the present idioms in use (P and DAML) for expressing the
pairings of lexical forms (literals) to data type classes to
justify the burden of reimplementation or conversion that
would be placed on present users, nor to justify the risk of
problems due to unknown issues deriving from such an approach.

I am very concerned that the full impact of the S approach
on both current and future applications, as well as on the common
understanding of RDF by users is *not* well understood, and recent
discussions seem to be uncovering yet more issues with each day
rather than resolving them. These issues seem significant enough that
it is questionable whether they can be fully understood and addressed
within a reasonable period of time and, as with other such unbounded
issues, are better deferred for further exploration and discussion.

It also appears to me that the S proposal introduces a dichotomy
between typed literal resources and typed non-literal resources, which
has yet to be addressed and seems contrary to the fundamentals of
the RDF conceptual model.

Finally, I am of the view that the S proposal challenges several
basic intuitions and assumptions about current RDF semantics and
even if the affected semantics can be clarified, redefined, and/or
extended, it will increase an already steep learning curve for
wider adoption of RDF.

> [[
> The RDF Core WG is chartered to complete the work on RDF vocabulary
> description present in the RDF Schema Candidate Recommendation [..]
> RDF Schema must be expressed in terms of the RDF model, and
> must use W3C
> RDF syntax. RDF Schema must use and build upon XML Schema
> datatypes to the
> fullest extent that is practical and appropriate. [etc...]
> ]]
>

> Hmmm... haven't we been here before? Like 10 days ago?

No we haven't. You're comments 10 days ago were based on a
misunderstanding of what I was objecting to.

I've never had an issue with the charter or the support of
XML Schema data types.

> From
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0325.html
> [[
> > >
> > > Please, NO!
>
> > Now I'm confused. If you read and agreed with our WG's
> charter before
> > joining RDF Core, this should come as no suprise.
> ]]

My objection in that post was to the adoption of XML Schema datatypes
as *primitives* of RDF, which was my understanding of the
suggestion being made at the time, and one that I was opposed to.

I was not, nor have I ever been, opposed to the full support of
XML Schema data types.

My interpretation of the charter is with the view that
whatever data typing solution is adopted and proposed by the
WG it should not discriminate against or preclude the use of
data typing schemes other than XML Schema. I am in full agreement
that XML Schema simple types should be "first among equals", but
not manditory or having treatment different from any other data
type schemes.

I believe I am not alone in that view. I hope that such a
view represents a consensus of the WG.

All of my proposals and comments to this WG have been
made in the interest of full support for XML Schema data
types. In fact, I believe it is fair to say that I have
spoken as much or more than anyone else about the specific
qualities of XML Schema simple data types and how those
qualities could be addressed by whatever solution is adopted
by this WG.

> Could you please confirm that you have read the charter.

I have. I read it carefully long before I ever joined the
WG and read it again even more carefully when I joined the WG.

Your impression that I am not familiar with its contents or
purpose seems to be due to a misunderstanding on your part
of the meaning of my posts.

> There may be technical or deployment considerations that
> count against S,
> but as far as I can see it is a reasonable fit with our charter.

While I do not assert that the charter completely rules it out,
I am of the opinion that the sum total of the goals, priorities,
and considerations outlined in the charter weigh heavily against it.

Best Regards,

Patrick