Re: datatypes and MT

>At 02:56 AM 11/4/01 +0100, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com wrote:
>>  > I'm sorry, I'm being thick again.  What's the advantage exactly?  To whom?
>>Does
>>>  this advantage differentiate DanC's proposal from the others?
>>>
>>>  What I see above is the A & B => A.  Which is true, but I miss the
>>significance.
>>
>>   [ rdfs:str "10" ]
>>is what we call the 'least common unifier' of
>>   [ rdfs:str "10" ] and [ rdfs:str "10"; rdf:type dt:decimal ]
>>and we found that a useful thing for inferencing
>>that's basically all we wanted to say
>>(so 'advantage' was rather subjective)
>
>Let's see if I read this correctly:  sometimes, the only thing one
>knows about some property, and the only thing one needs to know, is
>that it has a value with a given lexical representation.

Right. Put another way, all one needs to know about some classes is
that their members are supposed to be computed from a given lexical
representation. (Class= range of property)

>So, returning to my DTLS, DTVS, DTLV musings [1]:
>
>- Sometimes, we know/express a value in DTLS (the literal space) --
>the case noted above.
>
>- Sometimes, we know that the value of some node is in DTVS (the
>value space) -- this corresponds to the view of data type as
>describing a value space (The view I think Brian is expressing).  Of
>itself, this doesn't help us express a particular value.

No, but *together with the literal itself* it enables you to figure
out the value intended. It disambiguates the literal, if you like.
That's all it needs to do; the literal itself provides the particular
value, once you know how to interpret it.

>- Sometimes, we know a particular value in DTVS;  but to *express*
>this value, we need a corresponding value in DTLS

But the literal itself IS the particular value in DTLS. We don't need
another name for it: we have it in our syntax already. We don't have
to even mention or refer to it at all; we just have to know how to
interpret it.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes