Re: Issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-empty-property-elements

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Art Barstow wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:35:44AM +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 May 2001, Art Barstow wrote:
> >
> > > However, I'm wondering if you were trying to differentiate the
> > > following as being illegal syntax by [6.12]:
> > >
> > >  a.  <random:someProperty rdf:parseType="Literal"/>
> > >
> > > and the following as being legal:
> > >
> > >  b.  <random:someProperty rdf:parseType="Literal"></random:someProperty>
> >
> > Nope. I've always considered them to be equivalent.
> >
> > > My take on [6.12] is that a. is not legal and b. is legal.  If
> > > this is true, I don't understand why there is this restriction
> > > and would propose that both be legal.
> >
> > This restriction shouldn't exist; I'm not aware of any parsers that
> > enforce it - both should be legal an equivalent.
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> Good I think we agree on this.
>
> However, since whether a. implies b. has been an issue:
>
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2001JanMar/0128.html
>
> perhaps the text should specifically state that they are
> considered equivalent.

Hmm, yeah. I'm wondering if maybe we should provide a grammar like this
for the syntax or give it in terms of the XML infoset (or XML schema) -
so any future "tweaks" to XML syntax should be incorporated into RDF
syntax, maybe.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
(Things I've found in my attic, #2: A hundredweight of pornography.)