Re: Model-specific identity for anon resources, and its representation: A new issue?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> >> Sure, of course you are. I just want to move this out of the
> >> core level to something higher. This simplifies the core for
> >> those who don't need these things, and leaves it available for
> >> those who do.
> > Just don't use anon resources if you don't want them.
>
> Err, I don't follow. If I'm writing an application that accepts
> arbitrary RDF (which I am), I still need to deal with them
> somehow as long as they are in the abstract syntax. With my
> proposal, I could just ignore their anonymity if I wanted.

Avoiding an onerous implementation burden by winnowing the spec is not
something we get the opportunity to do very often :-)

I feel much the same way about the potential of stating equivalence
between two resources being written in to a level I can't just ignore.

Handling anonymous resources is tricky, but it's not too tricky.
Some brief notes about it here:
	http://ioctl.org/rdf/discuss/anonymous
...although these are a bit old now, and deal with the impact on an
imperative API (as opposed, ferinstance, to anything prolog-based)

jan

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Prolog in JavaScript: http://tribble.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~cmjg/logic/prolog-latest