Re: Abstract syntax: an attempt

At 09:16 AM 6/18/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>The upshot of that discussion is that there are (at least) two different
>concepts floating about, distinguished by the ideas of 'use' and 'mention'.
>
>The simplest examples to distinguish these I have seen are:
>
>   London is a city.
>   'London' is a word.
>
>The first of these is use, the second is mention of the name 'London'.
>
>A logical language needs both mechanisms.  Reification, as described in
>M&S is an example of mention e.g. Ralph said 'the sky is blue'.

 From something that Pat was saying in RDF-logic
(<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-logic/2001May/0071.html>), I
thought that maybe quotation was NOT a necessary feature for RDF.

I'm still not entirely clear what is the difference between using quotation
and truth functions vs modal operators, but it seems to me that the latter
approach places some constraints on the things to which modal operators
apply (unlike quotation/truth function which seems to be more of an
any-expression-goes approach, which I suppose would be more difficult to
capture logically).

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>