Re: Model-specific identity for anon resources, and its representation: A new issue?

On Friday, June 15, 2001, at 07:13  PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

>>> I don't agree that anonymous nodes should be part of the abstract
>>> syntax, and would suggest to consider this issue when cleaning up the
>>> model.
>
> I disagree: it is critically important to distinguish between
> well known,
> public URI names for things and ad-hoc generated placeholder
> IDs that have
> been dreamt up by an RDF/XML parser. Unless the abstract syntax (or
> whatever we call it) maintains that distinction, we risk getting into a
> terrible muddle.

OK, fine, but do it in a way so that *I* can still come up with
ad-hoc names. IOW, use a forSome triple or something to specify
this effect -- don't count on a side-effect of the current
language to denote this!

>> I tend to agree with this position. However, I would take it one
>> step further -- I believe that these "uniquely generated
>> resources" should have consistent, repeatably generated URIs.
>> That is, all parsers should assign the same genid to the same
>> resource.
>
> do you really mean this last claim?
> I suspect you meant that all parsers should assign a predictable genid
> given a common RDF/XML description mentioning a resource. 'all parsers
> should assign the same genid to the same resource' would be
> magic, since
> many times parsers won't have that information accessible.

Yes, that's what I meant.