Re: reification "test questions": first crack

Frank,

Some thoughts on your questions.  This is a long response.  The original
questions are at the end of this message.  I've tried to provide some
material that might hopefully find its way into test cases, etc in due course.

RQ1.  Consider the following test case:
---------------------------------------

<!--    Issue: ?
               Is a reified statement unique in Statements?
-->

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
   <rdf:Statement about="http://example.org/statement1">
     <rdf:predicate rdf:resource="http://example.org/predicate" />
     <rdf:subject rdf:resource="http://example.org/subject" />
     <rdf:object rdf:resource="http://example.org/object" />
   </rdf:Statement>
   <rdf:Statement about="http://example.org/statement2">
     <rdf:predicate rdf:resource="http://example.org/predicate" />
     <rdf:subject rdf:resource="http://example.org/subject" />
     <rdf:object rdf:resource="http://example.org/object" />
   </rdf:Statement>
</rdf:RDF>

N-triples (output by SirPAC):

<http://example.org/statement1>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Statement> .
<http://example.org/statement1>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#predicate>
   <http://example.org/predicate> .
<http://example.org/statement1>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#subject>
   <http://example.org/subject> .
<http://example.org/statement1>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#object>
   <http://example.org/object> .
<http://example.org/statement2>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Statement> .
<http://example.org/statement2>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#predicate>
   <http://example.org/predicate> .
<http://example.org/statement2>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#subject>
   <http://example.org/subject> .
<http://example.org/statement2>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#object>
   <http://example.org/object> .

This suggests that different resources that reify the same statement are
allowable (to prevent the above from being valid RDF would seem perverse to
me).  It doesn't answer the question as asked:  I think that would be a
matter for the formal semantics.

RQ2.  Statement sets
--------------------

I think the set of Statements is something from the "domain of
interpretation" of RDF, rather than a part of the language.

I think the questions here would be answered by some more formality in the
definition of the RDF abstract syntax and semantics;  e.g. I think an "RDF
graph" is a well formed expression of the RDF language, whose abstract
syntax might be defined something like this:

Terminal symbols:

   N : Nodes      (may be represented by Qnames or URIs)
   L : Literals   (may be represented by strings)
   P : Properties (may be represented by Qnames or URIs)

   rdf:type       (distinguished member of Properties)
   rdf:subject    (distinguished member of Properties)
   rdf:object     (distinguished member of Properties)
   rdf:predicate  (distinguished member of Properties)

   rdf:Statement  (distinguished member of Nodes)

   [ ]            ("punctuation" literals)

Nonterminal symbols:

   G : Graphs         (distinguished symbol of this syntax)
   S : Statements
   V : Values         (nodes or literals)
   R : Reifications

Productions:

::=    denotes a production in the syntax metalanguage,
|      denotes alternative productions in the syntax metalanguage,
<NULL> is a placeholder for an empty sequence of symbols

   G ::= S | G G | <NULL>

   S ::= R | A

   R ::= [ N rdf:type rdf:Statement ]
         [ N rdf:predicate P ]
         [ N rdf:subject N ]
         [ N rdf:object V ]

   A ::= [ N P V ]

   V ::= N | L

Note this abstract syntax is independent of any RDF surface syntax.  It
calls for interpretations of the terminal symbols that stand for Nodes,
Literals, Properties, Graphs, Statements and Values.  Also for
interpretation of the syntax productions that combine these into bigger
structures.

One might adopt an interpretation that answers the RQ2 questions thus:
(a)
- each invocation of production A denotes a member of Statements.
- each invocation of production R denotes 4 members of Statements.
- each invocation of a production for G denotes a subset of Statements.
- multiple subsets of Statements are possible.
(b)
- the sets of statements are in the domain of interpretation of RDF, not
the RDF language itself.  I think some metalanguage is needed to describe
the formal model of RDF.
(c)
- I think I agree:  while there may be different resources that stand for a
reification of a statement, they must all be interpreted as relating in
some way to the same member of Statements.  In practice, this might
correspond to the idea that if one "unreifies" ("asserts"?) different
reifications of a statement, one ends up asserting the same statement.

RQ3.  Statements about statements
---------------------------------

I'll try and reduce the example to the simplest test case:

<!--    Issue: ?
               Statements about statements?
-->

<?xml version="1.0"?>
          xmlns:a="http://example.org/" >
   <rdf:Statement about="http://example.org/statement">
     <rdf:predicate rdf:resource="http://example.org/creator" />
     <rdf:subject rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila" />
     <rdf:object>Ora Lassila</rdf:object>
     <a:attributedTo>Ralph Swick</a:attributedTo>
   </rdf:Statement>
</rdf:RDF>

<http://example.org/statement>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Statement> .
<http://example.org/statement>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#predicate>
   <http://example.org/creator> .
<http://example.org/statement>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#subject>
   <http://www.w3.org/Home/Lassila> .
<http://example.org/statement>
   <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#object>
   "Ora Lassila" .
<http://example.org/statement>
   <http://example.org/attributedTo>
   "Ralph Swick" .

(a)
- The "attributedTo" property has as its subject a resource that stands for
a reification of the statement.  I think some applications might want to
interpret this as a modal operator on the statement denoted by the reification.
(b)
- Again, I think this is a distinction between the language and its domain
of interpretation:  reification is in the language;  statements are in the
domain of interpretation.
(c)
- You say "there exists a statement (that I now create)...".  I don't think
it's right to say "create" here:  would "denote" or "describe" be closer?

RQ4.  Significance of a fact in a graph
---------------------------------------

I agree -- a model theory would help.  I also disagree with DanC's comments
that a statement that appears in a graph is, ipso facto, true.  I think we
need an interpretation that can assign truth of falsity to any
statement.  Then we can say that a graph is assigned Truth if all its
statements are assigned Truth, otherwise False.

In this, the reification of a statement is NOT a statement.  I would view
the 4 statements that form a reification as always being assigned Truth if
the reification is well formed (according to the syntax and whatever else
is required for a well-formed reification).

RQ5.  Reification to express statement grouping

I view this as a variation on attribution.  For example, the fact that
a statement was obtained from some trusted source.  Or that a statement
was made in the same context as some other statements.  I think there
may be subtleties here that don't belong in the RDF core.

(a)
- yes, I think it can express syntactic context (among others)
- when to include just reifications?  When the statements are not facts, I
think.  (The bagID syntax does not appear to provide a way to do this).
(b)
- explicit reification/unreification operators?  Sounds hairy to me.
(c)
- in talking about "collection of statements" I think there may be some
confusion between the language and its domain of interpretation.

RQ6.  "Model of statement"
--------------------------

I think the term "model" here may be unfortunate;  I think what is meant
here is the inverse of "model" in the model theoretic sense.  I'd be
inclined to say that the reification is a way to create a sub-expression in
RDF that denotes the subject of statements-about-statements.

(a)
- No further comment.
(b)
- I see nothing special about the RDF device for making statements about
statements, other than that it exists in the specification.  It is probably
true that there are other, better ways to achieve the same end and I, for
one, won't squeal if the group decides to develop some cleaner, easier
alternative.

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>