Re: Structuring the problem space

On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 04:45  PM, Brian McBride wrote:

> If you know of a previously posted suggestion for a
> partitioning, or have
> one you'd like to propose, please can post (a pointer to) it to
> the list.

I know we're trying to structure the problems space, and not the
specs, but as an RDF developer here's how I'd imagine seeing
things:

RDF Primer
   An introduction into RDF's view of Web Architecture as well as
the basic
   concepts of RDF with lots of examples.
     - URIs and Resources
     - XML and Namespaces
     - Overview of RDF and basic Semantic Web vision
     - Basic RDF Abstract Syntax Concepts
     - Basics of RDF/N3 and RDF/XML

RDF Abstract Syntax
   Definitions of basic RDF concepts:
     - Triple
     - Anonymity
     - etc.
   Definition of RDF's abstract syntax and base semantics.

RDF Schema
   Basic RDF concepts and their semantics:
     - Containers
     - Reification
     - Housekeeping (label, description, etc.)
     - Ontology (Property, Class
     - Datatypes, Literals, etc.

RDF/XML Syntax
   Syntax defined in a series of subsets of full syntax*:
     - Basic Syntax: Simple description and property syntax.
     - Abbreviated Basic Syntax: Add nesting and some more
advanced things.
     - Attribute Syntax: Introduces propAttrs.
     - Full Syntax: Full RDF 1.0 Syntax (and beyond?)

RDF/Notation3 Syntax
   Syntax defined in a series of subsets of full syntax*:
     - N-Triples Syntax
     - Basic N3: Includes the stable portions of N3 with clear
translations to
			  the RDF Abstract Syntax.
     - Full N3 (?): Includes all features of N3.

* Parsers should be free to only implement a certain subset of
the syntax as long as they make this clear.