Re: News Release: WS-Addressing 1.0 is a W3C Recommendation

On May 9, 2006, at 8:59 AM, Paul Krill wrote:

> What exactly does WS-Addressing do?

Web Services Addressing 1.0 provides a mechanism to developers on how
to address objects for Web services applications. It extends the
capabilities of Web services by enabling asynchronous message
exchanges, and allowing more than two services to interact.

In short, think of the functionalities provided by cookies, and
improve upon those. Think of single sign-in. These are scenarios
where WS-Addressing is designed to work.

Web Services Addressing 1.0 provides a transport-neutral mechanism
for addressing objects in Web services applications built on top of
URIs. This new method is called an endpoint reference, or EPR. EPRs
are designed to solve the issues posed by specific scenarios:

      * Dynamic generation and customization of service endpoint
descriptions - such as those created for a session id or customer id
      * Referencing and description of specific service instances
that are created as the result of stateful interactions
      * Flexible and dynamic exchange of endpoint information in
tightly coupled environments where communicating parties share a set
of common assumptions about specific policies or protocols that are
used during the interaction.

> So this makes it a formal standard, right?

yes. The WS vendors have been eager to get this done, as many other
specifications developed elsewhere depend on it.

> I am so flooded with JavaOne stuff I don't know how much time I'll
> have for this.

Well, a short cut might be to use the MS testimonial - here it is:

Microsoft Corp. is pleased to see WS-Addressing 1.0 become a W3C
Recommendation. As co-authors and implementers of the original WS-
Addressing submission in 2004, Microsoft has long viewed having a
standard method of addressing messages as a fundamental extension to
SOAP. Many other specifications, such as WS-Trust, WS-
ReliableMessaging, and WS-Coordination, leverage this facility to
provide secure, reliable, transacted Web services that interoperate
across platforms. Microsoft will continue its support of WS-
Addressing by implementing the W3C Recommendation in the next
versions of its Web services-enabled products, including the
forthcoming Windows Communication Foundation 1.0

-- Andrew Layman, Director of Connected Systems Integration,
Microsoft Corporation

Good luck with JavaOne.

Janet

Janet Daly, Global Communications Officer
o: +1.617.253.5884
m: +1.206.228.1097
janet@w3.org