sep30/oct1 meeting

From: Ron Whitney <RFW@MATH.AMS.ORG>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:11:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
A few weeks ago, I suggested that around now I would attempt a more
concrete assembly of the agenda for the Sep30/Oct1 meeting.  At this
point, I can't make the agenda much more specific than I have already.
I do think there are rather widely differing views which need sifting.

Generally, the goals of the meeting will be to consolidate our ideas,
to form a unified development path, and to leave the meeting with a set
of dated milestones.  Concrete points of discussion regarding input
syntax, internal data structures, devices for carrying semantical
information, and filtering into our standard from TeX markup will be
on the agenda.  Ancillary issues such as our target audience, real
performance, and development paths will also be discussed.  Please do
send suggestions as you think of them.

Some of the meeting attendees prefer not to hold formal sessions over
the weekend.  Offline conversation would undoubtedly be beneficial,
though, and I'll collect availability times and lodging locations as
people determine them so that we can tell how and when to get
together.  Susan Hardy has still not responded with recommendations
on places to stay in Cambridge or Boston.

I suggest we plan to start formal sessions at 9am, September 30, and
call an end to it by 4pm the next day.  Details of the agenda will be
adjustable at the beginning of the meeting.

-Ron

At the moment the attendee list (13 total) is:

Stan Devitt, Maplesoft
Stephen Glim, Mathsoft
Patrick Ion, Math Reviews
Robert Miner, The Geometry Center
Nico Poppelier, Elsevier
Dave Raggett, W3C
Bruce Smith, Wolfram
Neil Soiffer, Wolfram
Bob Sutor, IBM
Ron Whitney, AMS
Lauren Wood, SoftQuad
Ralph Youngen, AMS
a representative from Safir (Barkley signed already with the Rockets)

Here's a recapitulation of the agenda posted previously, but with a
few minor updates:

Review of agenda, last-minute adjustment of plans

Overview
  review of W3C milestones without dates
  review of anticipated working environments, uses
  review of goals
  review of information (i.e. data) which might be required to achieve
    various renderings

Detailed consideration of Wolfram Proposal
  overview
  anticipated input syntax(es)
  operator-precedence table
  entity names, unicode representation, fonts
  adjustment to input for cases not handled directly
  expression tree
  display-list
  macros, template-matching
  examples, test suite

Anticipated working environments, real performance
  editors
  filters
  interplay with browsers
  polymediator

Discussion of other points of view and integration with WP
  [with anticipation, topics here can be inserted at appropriate
   points in the discussion of the WP]
  Audio rendering
  Ping
  Raggett
  Safir review
  OpenMath
  Pike
  ISO 12083

W3C formalities
  proposal
  approval

Anticipated schedules, lists of achievables
Working environment (e.g. formal email proposals and voting procedures)