Re: semantics

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:20:04 -0400
To: w3c-math-erb <w3c-math-erb@w3.org>
One approach to semantic markup is to allow authors to
declare the types of variables in advance with the declaration
scoped to the document BODY or an enclosing DIV element.
This can also be used for variables which represent repeated
sub-expressions. As Raman has pointed out such declarations make
it easier for speach based-browsing.

It is also possible for such declarations to be made by reference
to an externally defined context which adds to the base definition
of the representation in terms of operator declarations and template
rules for mapping to rendering schema and clipboard formats.

I hope to get some more free time to work on the Java implementation
of these ideas prior to our meeting at the end of September.

Dave Raggett