small samples

From: Ron Whitney <RFW@MATH.AMS.ORG>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:26:07 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
Item 8 / accents

TeX:			\tilde s, \widetilde {s+t}
Wolfram:		s^^&tilde;, {s+t}^^&tilde;
MINSE:
Display-List (S):	<moverscript>s<mc>&tilde;</moverscript>,
                        <moverscript>s+t<mc>&tilde;</moverscript>
Display-List (MS):
ISO 12083:		s<top>&tilde;</top>,

Notes:
1. Two of the fields are left blank because I'm uncertain as to how
   accents will (or might) be specified in these situations. I know Rob
   and Neil added an "<maccent>" element to their display-list
   specification. In the case of MINSE, I'm also uncertain of the
   underlying display language used to render a diacritic.

2. My reading of the ISO 12083 DTD hasn't uncovered a means of
   specifying whether the tilde sizes to the width of an embellished
   subformula. I think we also have yet to specify how this is done
   with the Wolfram notation.

3. Would it be possible in the Wolfram approach to define a unary
   prefix operator, say "\ttrans", so that "\ttrans s" and "\ttrans{s+t}"
   effectively place tildes over the following arguments? I ask this
   since I'm thinking the situation is similar to the case of font
   changes which Neil and I have discussed, and it appeared that it would
   be problematic to parse "\ttrans +" as a binary infix operator similar
   to "+" itself. I'm guessing for now that one would have to use
   "<mo>\ttrans +</mo>" to get it right (also adding appropriate
   information about the precedence level of the new operator). But
   I assume "+^^&tilde;" would parse as a binary infix operator.

4. Dave, how do you envision accents being handled?