Re: IBM tex based netscape math plug-in

From: <rminer@geom.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:58:01 -0500
To: dsr@w3.org
Cc: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
I have looked at IBM's techexplorer already.  Here are some of my
impressions.

1) It is pretty solid an well implemented, but it is only available for Windows.

2) It uses native TrueType fonts, and does a good job with the
rendering.  It allows the user to configure things like putting binary
operators in a different color, and highlighting theorem statements.

It grabs the whole screen, and does line breaking on the fly when the
user resizes the window, though at the cost of ragged right margins.
It uses a separate control panel to change the base font size.

3) It is not a complete latex implementation.  It is rich enough so
that one could easily write a very satisfactory document *for* it,
however, it would be in general be a lot of work get an existing latex
document to display.

Robert