Re: Monday conference call

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 12:10:38 -0400
To: w3c-math-erb@w3.org

People may also want to look at WebEQ by Robert Miner at the
Geometry Center, UMN, see:

        http://www.geom.umn.edu/software/WebEQ/

This is a prelease of Java Applet for rendering math in HTML, based
upon the HTML 3.0 math proposal. Apart from being a prerelease, it
suffers from Java's lack of open font support and Netscape's inadequate
API for setting the applet width/height and dealing with the browser
font settings.

I see the W3C Math group as being at a crossroads right now and
look forward to seeing Bruce's proposal:

Route One:

We stay with SGML tags for marking up appropriate parts of an expression
together with operator precedence for expressions and SGML entities for
special characters like the differential `d'. In going down this road
I would prefer to leverage the HTML 3.0 design as much as possible, e.g.
people who have invested in the HTML 3.0 way of doing things.

Route Two:

Make a clean break to an entirely new notation that is completely
independent of SGML.  This gives us the opportunity for extensible
notations that are much easier to read. Indeed the linear syntax can
be designed around how people actually say math expressions, e.g. over
the phone. I believe that I can come up with a simple proposal for
this quite quickly and thence to a prototype based upon Arena or
WebEq. This road is less familar to the Web community but one which
I feel is well worth exploring.

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 5999
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett