Re: OpenMath

From: Neil Soiffer <soiffer@wolfram.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:26:31 -0500 (CDT)
To: n.poppelier@elsevier.nl
Cc: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
>I am in touch with Arjeh Cohen of OpenMath. They are not aware
>of the work of our group. Arjeh would like to have access to the
>Web pages of our group, but the server appears to deny him access.
>Is there any other way we can inform him, other than me copying
>several documents to him via email?  :-)
>Are any others on this group in touch with/aware of OpenMath?
>
>Nico

In the past, I have been active with that group, mainly as a critic.
I have mostly given up on them for the last half year or so because
they have made so little progress, are going in the wrong direction in
my opinion, and don't know how to structure a projects.  It just seemed
like a waste of time.

I think that if we do a good job with HTML math, it will become the
lingua-franca that OpenMath was supposed to have been.
It will not address the transport protocal that is part of OpenMath
(in my opinion, far and away the most important part), and that part
will still be left open for OpenMath to solve.  WRI volunteered to
donate a solution (MathLink), but NIH rules there as elsewhere...and so
they still don't have a solution.

	Neil