Re: Agenda for Monday April 1st

From: Theodore W. Gray <theodore@wolfram.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:44:18 -0600
To: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>, n.poppelier@elsevier.nl
Cc: raman@labrador.mv.us.adobe.com (Raman T. V.), w3c-math-erb@w3.org
At 15:28 4/4/96, Dave Raggett wrote:
>Thanks for your interesting comments on characters set extensions and
>automatic numbering. The ability to skip/resume numbering seems fine,
>but the derived numbers (1 -> 1') may be something we would restrict
>to backwards references.

I don't know if it's really relevant to this discussion, but we have implemented in Mathematica V3.0 an automatic numbering system that handles forward (and backward) references to numbered objects.  Reading the complete document posted recently on this topic, I believe our system handles all the situations described in it.  Rather than define counter objects based strictly on nesting level, we allow the styles that define nesting levels to say which counters they increment and/or reset.  The document style sheet can define any arbitrary set of named counters.
Counter values can be rendered as decimals, letters, kanji numerals, roman
numerals, etc, or by way of an arbitrary Mathematica function.
It is, by the way, no mean trick to get real time updated display of forwards references to numbered objects.

Theo