Re: more comments on HTML-Math proposal

From: Bruce Smith <bruce@wolfram.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:12:52 -0700
To: "Dave Raggett" <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
>I agree that today's plug-in api's are inadequate and am working
>to get this fixed. You can however make anchors within plugins
>work. The plugin is passed mouse events and can in turn call
>back to the browser to display a URL. This is enough to allow
>anchor's within math, and math in text in math, with the
>burden placed on the plugin.

I think this method will allow a plugin to support links (going out of
the math to some URL) work, but will not help with anchors embedded
within the math (not just attached to the math element as a whole) to
which links from the same or other documents can point. Fortunately
this is a feature which can be lived without at first, by making each
numbered equation a separate math element, and doing without links to
pieces within these elements.