Re: 6th OpenMath Workshop

From: Robert S. Sutor/Watson/IBM Research <sutor@watson.ibm.com>
Date: 1 Aug 96 9:22:24
To: w3c-math-erb <w3c-math-erb@w3.org>
FYI

To: openmath @ can.nl @ GW
cc: diaza @ cs.rpi.edu @ GW, openmath-dev @ can.nl @ GW, openmath-sc @ can.nl @
GW (bcc: Robert S. Sutor/Watson/IBM Research)
From: diaza @ cs.rpi.edu @ GW
Date: 08/01/96 08:52:08 AM
Subject: 6th OpenMath Workshop

 I was asked to post a message detailing the conclusions of the 6th
OpenMath Workshop. However, Professor Gonnet has compiled a very thorough
recapitulation of the discussions and conclusions. Please examine the
following URL:

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/gonnet/ContDict/discuss.html
(Summary of some discussions and conclusions at the 6th OpenMath Workshop)

 I remained in Zurich until Wednesday and spent quite a bit of time working
with Professor Gonnet on unifying the concepts of contexts and semantic
dictionaries. We gained much progress in this matter and I will send a summary
regarding our work on content dictionaries in the next few days.

 Below I kindly highlight some discussion and conclusions of the Zurich
OpenMath workshop.

Best Regards to all,

Angel

---------------------------------------

 Highlights of the 6th OpenMath Workshop (from Professor Gonnet's summary):

 * Context and semantic dictionaries should be unified, and renamed (content
   dictionaries)
 * The following people are responsible for heading the committees which will
   define a few of the basic CDs.
      Meta - Gaston Gonnet
      Basic - Angel Diaz
      Polynomials - Mark Gaetano
      LinearAlgebra - Arne Storjohann (subject to confirmation)

    Deadlines:
      August  15th - all the committees should be formed.
      October 15th - draft of all the CDs should be available to the
                     OpenMath community at large
      December 7th - the definition of the most basic CDs will be frozen
  * Professor Seppala distributed copies of the INFO 2000 program and
    proposed a budget and framework for further OpenMath funding.
  * There was discussion regarding whether OpenMath should transmit objects
    alone or objects and commands
  * The 7th OpenMath Workshop will take place in Dublin on December 7-8,
    1996 (Saturday and Sunday).