From: "Thomas Roessler" <tlr@w3.org>
To: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 07:39
Subject: [fwd] [dix] fyi: SAMLv2: HTTP POST ?NoXMLdsig? Binding (from: Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz)

FYI
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C   <tlr@w3.org>

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz> -----

From: Jeff Hodges <Jeff.Hodges@neustar.biz>
To: Digital Identity Exchange <dix@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:16:34 -0700
Subject: [dix] fyi: SAMLv2: HTTP POST
 ?NoXMLdsig? Binding
Given the various issues with XMLdsig and discussions with various folks,
Scott Cantor and I crafted a new SAML HTTP POST binding which doesn't rely
on XMLdsig, but specifies optional signing of the conveyed messages, as
"blobs". We've tentatively named the binding "HTTP-POST-NoXMLdsig". The
working draft spec is here..

SAMLv2: HTTP POST ?NoXMLdsig? Binding [DRAFT]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/18722/draft-hodges-saml-binding-noxmldsig-01.pdf

The basic notion of this draft binding was well-received by the SSTC and the
consensus on a recent SSTC concall was that we'd proceed with putting it on
the SSTC/OASIS equivalent of "the standards track". Note that this spec is a
*working draft* and some details will change, and comments are welcome.

This binding could be leveraged/profiled in the DIX context in order to
provide the capability for implementors/deployers to optionally use
conventional sign-the-BLOB techniques, or the SXIP/DIX Message
Signature/Verification technique, or no signatures.

JeffH