Re: Canonicalization test suite

On Monday 03 October 2005 08:41, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> I've written an unofficial test suite for XML Canonicalization based on
> the W3C XML test suite. Basically I compared the outputs from
> canonicalizing the entire W3C well-formed test cases using different
> processors. This test suite has been informally passed around among
> implementers of different C14N engines for some time now. However it's
> not as formal as it should be, and I don't really have permission to
> republish the modified W3C suite in the form this test suite requires,
> though I doubt this really bothers  anyone.
>
> Would the W3C be interested in taking this over, reviewing it, and
> republishing it as an official test suite for C14N? It's already
> uncovered a number of bugs in different implementations, and I think it
> would be useful to make it more easily available. There might well be
> problems in it, and other tests that are needed, but I think it could be
> a useful starting point.

This sounds like a useful contribution. However, given that this activity
has expired, taking up a work item like this is not trivial (i.e., is there
still sufficient interest/quorum to vet the test cases against the
specifications, investigate and follow through with copyright issues and to
the W3C process, etc.). I looked at [1] but don't see a question about
contributions to expire activities! :) however I have cc:d Jose (who I
believe it still the W3C team contact) and some of the folks associated
with the W3C's quality assurance working group. Perhaps they could point to
in the right direction.

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2005/01/test-faq