Re: Last call announcement for Namespaces 1.1

On Monday 09 September 2002 05:45 pm, Paul Grosso wrote:
> Namespaces 1.1 is expected to be used with XML 1.1.

This is was I expect, but to be clear, if possible, is there also an
expectation that it would *not* be used with XML 1.0? I think not given
what is said in the status, "Since documents using this new feature will
not work with existing processors, this revision is being tied to the 1.1
revision of XML itself. XML 1.0 documents must continue to use version 1.0
of this specification."

> Other than various
> errata, Namespaces 1.1 really only adds the ability to "undeclare" a
> namespace, and I doubt it would require any change to XPath et al.

On the trivial side, at the least, the references would need to be
updated...

XPath references (unfortunately) the latest version of the existing
specification (instead of a dated instance...):
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#XMLNAMES -->
  http:// www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names
Fortunately, the 1.1. version is using a new short name:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/

But on the substantive issue let's have a look at NS1.1, XPath, and NS1.0...

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xml-names11-20020905/#scoping
  The attribute value in a namespace declaration for a prefix may
  be empty. This has the effect, within the scope of the declaration,
  of removing any association of the prefix with a namespace name.

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116#namespace-nodes
  NOTE: An attribute xmlns="" "undeclares" the default namespace
  (see [XML Names]).

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#defaulting
  The default namespace can be set to the empty string. This has the
  same effect, within the scope of the declaration, of there being
  no default namespace.

So what exactly *is* the difference. And if there is a difference between NS
1.0 and 1.1, did XPath 1.0 anticipate the change and already correct for it
in its data model?