RE: Clarification

--On Mittwoch, 14. August 2002 14:44 -0700 "Dournaee, Blake" <bdournaee@rsasecurity.com> wrote:

> My point is largely academic. I think the consensus is correct: XPointer
> fragment references include all referenced child nodes with no further
> qualification. It just doesn't explicitly SAY these words. Not a big deal.
> Carry on :)
>

> 1. "if the URI is not a full XPointer, then delete all
>     comment nodes"
>
> 2.  "Therefore to retain the default behavior of stripping
>     comments when passed a node-set, they are removed in
>     the last step if the URI is not a full XPointer."
>
> 3. *If* it's an XPointer, comments are not removed.

Hi Blake,

I agree that the spec did not tell the other side of the fact in great detail. What I personally learned from these W3C specs (ds, c14n, exclC14n, xenc) is that the spec must be seen in conjunction with the repective mailing list archives (which can be a bit frustrating when you need unambigous advice).

Joseph, maybe this is a candidate for the erratum?

Regards,
Christian