Re: Exclusive Canonicalization: A trivial problem

John, I agree that any characterizations of Canonical XML as broken are
incorrect. Canonical XML does two things and does them well: it decides
which nodes of a parsed XML (in the XPath data model) via its default XPath
expression (as parameterized with or without comments) and how to serialize
the resulting node sets. When combined with generic XPath functionality, it
can serialize anything! <smile/>

I've often said there is no single "The Canonical XML" because different
applications will need different things. In it's default XPath expression,
the Canonical XML purposefully and wisely uses its ancestor context.
However, this is not always appropriate to the enveloped protocol scenario.
That's fine! While we did consider permitting arbitrary XPath transforms on
SignedInfo, many people were concerned that such flexibility over that data
was too much, and instead, we would rely upon the careful specification
of  standardized canonicalization algorithms (instead of user specified
XPaths) that have a well specified data-model/node-section and
serialization. Canonical XML 1.0 is one such algorithm that's made it to
REC, but there could be others. And this is exactly what we are considering
now -- amid concerns about dependencies and timing. And because of Canonical
XML's design, this is technically very easy: defining a different
canonicalization using a slightly different node set selection but exactly
the same serialization method!