Re: XML Schema base64Binary simple type

"Gregor Karlinger" <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at> writes:

> Henry,
>
> > Attribute value whitespace is considered markup.  Attribute value
> > normalization always takes place, even in the absence of DTDs [1]
> >
> > Schema processing simply extends the same approach to element content.
> >
> > ht
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#AVNormalize
>
> To overcome problems resulting from this parser behaviour, you employ
> canonicalization (SignedInfo is canonicalized mandatory, and
> for signed XML data objects you should apply an approiate
> canonicalization transform).

So the problem is that

  there-exists x suchthat wfcs(x) & C(I(x)) != C(I(SAT(x)))

where wfcs is a predicate true of well-formed XML document encodings,
C is XML Canonical form, I is the XML 1.0 Infoset and SAP is an XML
Schema-aware transducer.  This is certainly true -- it was not a
constraint on the design of XML Schema that it preserve canonical
form.

However, it is _not_ the case that whitespace affects the question of
whether

  there-exists x suchthat wfcs(x) & C(I(x)) != C(PSVI(I(x)))

where PSVI is the post schema-validation Infoset.  This is because the
PSVI only _augments_ the input Infoset, it doesn't change it.

So for instance the character info item daughters of an EII with type
xs:base64Binary will not have changed.

[There _is_ a problem with defaulted attributes, however.  But that's a
different problem, I guess, that naturally arises in dealing with
schema processing.]

But I'm still struggling to understand how/why these cases are a problem
for XML Signature -- please provide me with scenario where a problem
arises.  You seem to be making assumptions about processing models
that I think are not necessary . . .

Thanks for your patience.

ht