RE: XML Schema base64Binary simple type

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:33:09 +0200
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: "XMLSigWG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Henry,

> I'm actually confused about this -- are you saying all _other_ parts
> of the XML Sig schema use only string/'preserve' attributes and
> elements?  It's certainly true that schema-aware processing does not
> preserve whitespace information, but that's true of DTD-aware
> processing as well, in lots of ways . . .

A parser MUST report any whitespace to the application as
it has been detected in the parsed XML, according to XML 1.0:

  "An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document
   that are not markup through to the application. A validating
   XML processor must also inform the application which of these
   characters constitute white space appearing in element content." [1]

Therefore I cannot share your concerns regarding DTD aware processing.

Liebe Gruesse/Regards,
DI Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at