Re: signature portability / C14N / inherited namespaces

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:28:52 +0100
To: "Rob Lugt" <roblugt@elcel.com>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Hi Rob,

r/roblugt@elcel.com/2001.05.16/15:13:01
>One last try at a workable solution whilst adhering to the c14n
>specification:- re-use the same namespace prefix from the SOAP header.
>
><ns:Envelope xmlns:ns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
> <ns:Body>
>  <Contract xmlns="&foo;">
>   <ns:Signature xmlns:ns="&dsig;">...</ns:Signature>
>  </Contract>
> </ns:Body>
></ns:Envelope>
>
>I think the namespace prefix should ideally be a descriptive name which
>makes this solution less than elegant.  But perhaps it satisfies your
>current requirement?

I've actually solved it for myself by using a framework that can
defer signing until the final document is complete. This is okay
for my particular needs, but it won't work for someone who is
using, for example, Apache's SOAP framework (which never builds
a DOM tree, but instead manually marshals the SOAP envelope in
text format*) or who has no control over the final embedding of
their signature.

My concern really revolves a bit more around interop and the dsig
spec than this particular instance.

Merlin

* It does make the namespace available, but not through DOM.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com