RE: Character Encoding Question

John, Tom, others,

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but my original comment stemmed from my
understanding that UCS-2 != Unicode. From RFC-2279 (which is actually the
UTF-8 RFC, but has this nice description), F. Yergeau:

"It is noteworthy that the same set of characters [UCS-2, current BMP] is
defined by the Unicode standard [UNICODE], which further defines additional
character properties and other application details of great interest to
implementors, but does not have the UCS-4 encoding.  Up to the present time,
changes in Unicode and amendments to ISO/IEC 10646 have tracked each other,
so that the character repertoires and code point assignments have remained
in sync."

My understanding is that for character point assignment, UCS-2 == Unicode
evaluates TRUE and will continue to evaluate TRUE. UCS-4 == Unicode will
always evaluate FALSE. "UCS" is probably the term desired in the Canonical
XML Version 1.0 specification. The fact that most implementors will use
Unicode to generate UCS character point data appears to be an implementation
detail. By using UCS as the specifier for character data, when characters
are added to the BMP and when those characters are outside of UCS-2/Unicode
and in UCS-4, the specification will continue to have meaning.

Thanks,

Jeff