Re: comments on 990806 Requirements Doc

[Comments to an email from  Don, that hasn't yet made it to the list.]

At 13:21 99/08/17 -0400, dee3@us.ibm.com wrote:
 >2.2:  Suggest changing "The manifest includes..." to "The manifest must
 >support..." so as to permit other types of manifest.

Manifests that don't use URIs? If so, what would be the example?

 >3.1.2: Assumes the manifest of locators model.  Perhaps simply changing
 >"XML-signatures apply ..." to "XML-signatures may apply..." would give the
 >flexibility needed to accodate other models.

What other models are we speaking of?

 >3.1.2.1, 3.1.2.2, 3.1.2.3: I don't understand why these points are at the
fourth
 >level.  S

Ok, they've been promoted.

 >3.1.3 & 3.3.1: Suggest replacing "negotiation" with "calculation".  I
believe
 >this refers to Diffie-Hellman and I think calculation is more accurate than
 >negotiation.  Might even want to change 3.1.3 to be "...calculation of
keying
 >material such as Diffie-Hellman agreement."

Done. Richard if you object, say so.

 >3.2.1: Suggest simply replacing "document" with "element" and dropping the
boxed
 >comment.

Now reads, "An XML-signature must be a well-balanced XML region (as defined
by XML-Fragment) that begins and ends with a signature element. [Charter]"

 >3.2.2: Suggest replacing "required" with "mandatory to implement".

ok.

 >3.3.3: I think behaviour in this case is application dependent.  It would
be
 >good for applications to at least notice conflicts and be able to report
them.

Are you agreeing with the comment? Could you restate the requirement or
comment?

 >Boxed comment at the end of 3.4: I don't see that packaging is that
dependent on
 >trust/semantic definitions.  Since there are fragment and package WGs, why
isn't
 >coordination with them adequate?

(At 4.2. Package might start next year, and Boyer doesn't think the fragment
work is sufficient, so I'm flagging these as particularly salient
dependencies.

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/