Re: [tc-push-l] WebDAV PUSH based on RFC 6202

I chimed in on this conversation on the tc-push-l@lists.calconnect.org
list.  Cyrus asked me to post my comments here.  (I tried to refactor
content from multiple messages for context, but I apologize if it is
still a bit jumbled - and for top posting)

I don't have much knowledge in implementing push/realtime HTTP other
than installing various web clients on top of Ejabberd using XEP-0206
(XMPP over BOSH) and deciding not to use XEP-0025 (Jabber XMPP Polling
at UW-Madison.
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0206.html
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0025.html

Otherwise, what I am saying is based on what I have read or what others
have told me, so take it with a grain of salt.

I suggested looking at the work being done on websockets for XMPP.  Not
that XMPP should be used as the protocol, but rather that they might
have documented some of the same hurdles you are trying to overcome.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket-02

 From my standpoint as a calendar server administrator, I shudder to
think of the impact of having tens of thousands of clients keeping
connections open to my main Apache preforking servers.  The root of my
recommendation is not to say whether long polling is better or worse
than web sockets, but rather to suggest the option to have the clients
make these long running requests to a secondary URI.  This would allow
server administrators to handle those request with a web server
specifically optimized for that type of connection.

the websocket, I said that I would consider it an implementation detail
as to what information (and how much) to send over the web socket
connection vs. telling the client to sync via the normal connection.

The people I know who have implemented realtime web apps generally ditch
the idea of long polling because it doesn't scale.  They use web
sockets, but they have clients connect on a different connection than
the main web server that is serving normal requests.

Not all web servers are non-blocking/asynchronous, so you might not be
able/willing to completely replace existing web servers and downstream
reverse proxy servers.  The 2-web server strategy allows you to add in
push capabilities while remaining backwards compatible, as well as
segregate load.  If your web sockets server becomes overloaded, clients
should be able to fall back on the non-push capabilities.

For an example, I know the guys that built
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/  Their main web servers are not handling
any of the web sockets connections.  But their application is still
capable of pushing real time updates.  They accomplish this by having
the client (javascript) maintain a connection to
https://www.firebase.com/ to receive those updates.

Firebase is an example of a cloud hosting service for realtime apps.  It
allows you to outsource the realtime/push capabilities of your apps.  I
don't know if something like that would be appropriate for calendaring,
but it might be an instructive exercise to proof-of-concept leveraging
this type of solution for your work on tc-push.  It might at least lead
you to the answers to the questions your were asking.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful information.

--
Jesse Thompson
Technical Consultant - Messaging