WebDAV Bug?

From: Jim Schatzman <James.Schatzman@fulab.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 20:03:26 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Can anyone explain the following behavior and how to fix it?

I am running WebDAV with Apache2 version 2.2.15.

I take a tgz file and split it. The files are named

test_xaa  test_xab test_xac etc.

I then attempt to download the files through a browser. I have tried several browsers and the result is always the same.

test_xab, test_xac, etc download without difficulty.

However test_xaa gets renamed "test_xaa.tar" and it is, in fact unzipped, sort of. This a problem because it is invalid, since it was not unzipped with the other files attached. It cannot be just re-zipped and then the collection of files unsplit and unzipped, because zipping does not reproduce the original file. There does not seem to be any way to recover.

Equally oddly, if I rename test_xaa to test_xaa.tgz, then it downloads without difficulty. It is not renamed, and it is not unzipped.

I can find no reference to this behavior in online WebDAV manuals.

Thanks!

Jim