Re: WebDAV sync informal last call

Hi Werner,

--On April 15, 2011 10:32:57 PM +0200 Werner Donné
<werner.donne@pincette.biz> wrote:

> No strong opinion on this. Might 403 be returned for other reasons ?
>

> It is a code that is used in general to indicate that something is not
> allowed, for whatever reason. Using this code wouldn't "twist" anything.

I think we do need to distinguish the specific problem being dealt with
here: namely that a depth:infinity sync cannot "traverse" into a specific
collection. I would be willing to change the 405 to a 403, with the proviso
that a DAV:error element MUST also be returned and that MUST contain a
DAV:supports-parent-depth-infinity-sync element. That way clients can clear
distinguish between this case and other types of 403.

> <<
>  The 405 response MUST be sent only during an initial synchronization (as
> defined in 3.4).  >>
>
> be more clear ?
>

> Yes.

That statement about the "405" case is not entirely true. If such a
collection is created after the initial sync on one of its parents, then it
will need to be reported in the "405" state on the next sync of that
parent. I think the current text accurately describes the situation:

    The 405 response MUST be sent once, when the collection is first
    reported to the client.

--
Cyrus Daboo