Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

On Nov 30, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that versioning servers without working copies often still
>>> require a checkout/checkin protocol.
>>> The "checkout" method is used as a notification to other users
>>> that this client is working on that resource.
>>> The "checkin" method is used to tell the server "I want you to
>>> create a new version with the current content" (while a PUT just
>>> updates the current content without creating a new version).
>> In this case, checkout/checkin is also orthogonal to the notion of
>> versioning and would not need to be mentioned in the spec. IOW, the
>> only reason mentioning checkin/checkout in the spec is because the
>> definition of working copy depends on it.
>
> Does it?
>
> "A "working copy" is a resource at a server-defined URL that can be
> modified to create a new version of a versioned resource."

So it might be enough to:

PUT /working-copies/667

<foo/>

to create a new version of /main/667 ?? (assuming that /main/667 --
working-copy--> /working-copies/667)

What would be the reason to have a working copy that needs not be
checked-in?

Jan

> Best regards, Julian

Jan Algermissen