Re: BIND and HTTP status codes

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while implementing WebDAV BIND in Jackrabbit [1] (the Apache Java
> Content Repository Reference Implementation), my colleague Manfred
> Baedke noticed that the spec currently micro-manages HTTP status codes:
> for instance, for a successful BIND it requires status codes of 200 or
> 201, while - from an HTTP point of view - a 204 should be acceptable as
> well.
>
> Proposal: rephrase the text so that other success codes are acceptable
> as well, or remove the normative language completely, point to RFC2616,
> and rely on examples.
>
> BR, Julian
>
> [1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-1733>

Proposed resolution, deliberately kept simple in order not to make
bigger changes at this stage:

Section 4., paragraph 9:
OLD:

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 201 (Created) when
       a new binding was created and 200 (OK) when an existing binding
       was replaced.

NEW:

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 201 (Created) when
       a new binding was created and 200 (OK) or 204 (No Content) when an
       existing binding was replaced.

Section 5., paragraph 6:
OLD:

       <!ELEMENT unbind (segment)>

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 200 (OK) when the
       binding was successfully deleted.

NEW:

       <!ELEMENT unbind (segment)>

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 200 (OK) or 204
       (No Content) when the binding was successfully deleted.

Section 6., paragraph 7:
OLD:

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 201 (Created) when
       a new binding was created and 200 (OK) when an existing binding
       was replaced.

NEW:

       If the request succeeds, the server MUST return 201 (Created) when
       a new binding was created and 200 (OK) or 204 (No Content) when an
       existing binding was replaced.

See also
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-latest.html#rfc.issue.status-codes>.
Note that I also added a Location header to the one example where a 201
status is returned; this may be a good idea as the newly created URI !=
the request-URL (but I wouldn't want to normatively require it).

BR, Julian