Re: How to handle PROPFIND request with empty <prop> element?

Henrik Holst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to RFC4918 one should treat empty PROPFIND requests like an
> <allprop> request, but how should one handle a PROPFIND request which is
> not empty but have an empty <prop> element like:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>   <propfind xmlns="DAV:">
>   <prop></prop>
> </propfind>
>
> Should this also be treated as an <allprop> request or should we reply
> with say "412 Precondition Failed" or some other error reply?

It's invalid, as <prop> should contain a child element specifying the
property.

Thus, it seems that status 422 makes sense.

Note that 412 has a very specific semantic that doesn't apply here.

And yes, it's unfortunate that there's no really simple way to just get
the children of a collection; when I needed this, I usually asked for
DAV:resourcetype, as this is known to exist on every resource, and
should be cheap to compute.

BR, Julian