Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 06:13:54PM +0200, Werner Baumann wrote:

> Petr Tomasek wrote:
> >But every webdav client I've seen REQUIRES the DAV-header to operate on
> >an URL as on a WebDAV collection. So it means You would practically disalow
> >any partial (e.g. a read-only) WebDAV implementation, even if it works
> >correctly and the full-fledged functionality is not needed at all!
> >

> What the hell is a "read-only WebDAV implementation"? WebD*A*V is about
> *Authoring*.

Sorry, but this is silly! According to such an interpretation one
couldn't use e.g. the HTTP protocol for anything else, than a hypertext!

Rather, the WebDAV is most commonly used as a network filesystem
implemented over HTTP and as such it makes much sense to have
a read-only filesystem.

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
Jabber: butrus@jabbim.cz