Re: AW: DAV:principal-URL

So here's the problem:  The primary purpose of the DAV:principal-URL is to
specify the "identity" of a principal (so you can use it to check for
equality).  But you might not have an HTTP URI that can be used as the
"identity" (you might need to use some URN URI, for example).  So you
might be forced to use a non-HTTP URL in the DAV:principal-URL property.

So the spec says that there must be an HTTP URL for a principal, but it
does not require that the HTTP URL be the one that appears in the
DAV:principal-URL property.

At least that's how I remember it ... I could of course be wrong (it's
been a while :-).

"Konstantin Breu" <Konstantin.Breu@gmx.net> wrote on 05/10/2008 05:37:44
PM:

> But RFC 3744 says
>
> "However, servers implementing this specification MUST expose principal
> resources at an http(s) URL"
>
> Doesn't this mean, that the D:href for the principal cannot use another
> scheme? I thought that the D:href has to point to the principal resource
-
> which the server MUST expose...
>
> Cheers,
> Konstantin

Im
> Auftrag von Geoffrey M Clemm
> Gesendet: Samstag, 10. Mai 2008 23:07
> An: Julian Reschke
> Cc: acl@webdav.org; WebDAV; w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org; Wilfredo
Sánchez
> Vega
> Betreff: Re: DAV:principal-URL
>

> It is certainly desireable for it to be an http url, but I don't see
that it
> has to be one ... you could imagine using a mailto: url ...
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff
>
> w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org wrote on 05/10/2008 11:12:17 AM:
>

> > Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
> > >
> > >   Is is a requirement that DAV:principal-URL be an http(s) scheme
URL?