Re: Standardizing Batch methods?

markus.litz@dlr.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> are there any plans for standardizing Batch methods in WebDAV? Is there
> a spec that could be discussed or are there real alternatives to
> transactions in WebDAV?

I'm not aware of any plans. Things I *am* aware of are:

- two documents for which documentation was requested (BIND, SEARCH) --
waiting for the IESG

- a proposal to work on an equivalent of CaldDAV for vCard. Potentially
a WG will be formed for that, and there was some discussion about
starting some separate documents simplifying this in the WebDAV stack
(such as defining a request body for MKCOL, or extrating stuff like
REPORT from RFC3253).

- maintenance of existing specs (RFC3253bis, RFC3744bis, RFC4918bis...).

> I searched in the WebDAV mailing list archive, but the last posts
> according to that issue are quite old.

I would guess we'd need to come up with a problem statement first.

There are both batch calls and transaction support in Microsoft
exchange, and as far as I recall these have the following issues:

Batch: underspecification, not clear whether it's good for retrieval
because it bypasses caches.

Transactions: breaks GET, because specifying the transaction id as a
request header essentially makes all requests content-negotiated.

So... what's the problem you're looking to solve?

Best regards, Julian