Re: [Ietf-carddav] Comments on draft-daboo-carddav-02

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> --On July 15, 2007 12:21:31 PM +0200 Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> The introduction of new DAV:resourcetypes however has lead to the
>> introduction of new HTTP methods, with the single purpose of creating
>> a WebDAV collection with a certain set of properties. I think this is
>> an extremely bad idea. [...] I'd suggest defining what MKCALENDAR and
>> MKADDRESSBOOK have in common, and come up with a single solution to
>> that. For instance, such as MKCOL using a request body that carries a
>> set of properties, including the WebDAV resource type.
> [...] I do agree that this is not an ideal state of affairs. If there
> is consensus in the WebDAV community to do so, I agree that we should
> write up a formal extension to MKCOL that would cover all the other
> MKxxx's behaviors. However, I do not believe that belongs in CardDAV,
> it should be a separate extension that CardDAV can itself leverage. I
> would be happy to put a spec together on that (extracting the
> behaviors from the existing specs).
>
> What do others thinks about this?
I believe that this is a most sensible idea -- the creation of new
protocol methods to operate on resource types is Really Bad (TM) and
defining a generic, extensible solution that supports domain specific
MKxxx behavior is clearly preferred. Extending MKCOL with semantics
covering the optional inclusion of a request body containing properties
would seem like a very reasonable starting point in this.

It would further be my preference to see the above specified prior to
pushing CardDAV along the RFC track.

Regards,
Elias