Re: DAV:read privilege and browsing

Kevin Wiggen schrieb:
> FYI -- Xythos would consider it a security hole if a webdav client can do a directory listing and view files names that people do NOT have read access to.  I hate when my boss has that file called FIRE-KEVIN.doc in his directory.
>
> This is NOT how other servers view this (for instance SAP), but I would believe it is up to the server how "secure" they want to be.  Yes they can find out if they try to WRITE to a file location that has a pre-named file, however there might be other reasons the user cannot write to that location.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

yes I totally agree that it's the server's choice to decide that. I
wasn't trying to advocate one specific approach.

Basically, if the server exposes the names of children that the user
doesn't have access to, security works in a different way. For instance,
users will have to move resources they don't want to be visible into a
specific folder, and deny read access to that folder as well.

Best regards, Julian