Re: WebDAV capabilities in HTML?

Jim Whitehead schrieb:

> All,
>
> I am interested in your ideas on what WebDAV capabilities inside HTML
> might look like.
>
> A Master's student at UC Santa Cruz is starting to explore this idea. So
> far we are able to grab properties from a web resource and insert them
> into an HTML page, and there are also facilities for iterating over all
> resources in a collection while grabbing properties and inserting them
> into the HTML. At present, we have only explored read-only scenarios.
>
> So, what kinds of scenarios could be supported by DAV-in-HTML, and what
> kinds of capabilities would HTML need to support to make this possible?
>
> Being able to write to properties seems potentially useful, though it's
> unclear whether this is better than using native HTML forms and POSTing
> data.

Jim,

from the description above it's not really clear to me what you're
trying to achieve. So maybe the stuff below is relevant or isn't :-).

To expose property values other than by PROPFIND, several approaches
come to mind:

- Inline in HTML - using DC-encoding (RFC2731), microformats, RDF/A
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/>), ...

- In separate resources: for instance, the origin server can return a
Link response header, specifying a URL for the metadata; that has the
benefit that the metadata has it's own URL, and standard HTTP methods
can be applied. Of course that would leave us with the issue what format
to use; RDF and the XML format used in RFC2518's PROPFIND responses come
to mind...

Best regards, Julian