Re: UPDATE method and forking

Werner wrote on 03/17/2006 10:48:23 AM:

> I understand now that there is in fact legacy to support, which is
> fair enough. So Manfred doesn't have to answer the question in my

Yes, the design of WebDAV versioning was especially challenging since
we were concerned both with legacy WebDAV clients, and legacy versioning
repositories, in addition to wanting to define a "good model" for
the future.

> The conclusion is important, because it
> comes down to the choice whether an new server implementation wants
> to support those older clients or not.

That is exactly right.

> The JSR-147 initiative seems interesting. How does it relate to
> JSR-170? Sections 4.10 and 4.11 of the latter may overlap.

Being semantically compatible with JSR-147 was an explicit goal of
JSR-170.
We are currently considering adding the more advanced semantics of JSR-147
(activities, baselines) into JSR-283, the next version of JSR-170.