Re: Relative references and whether requires an authority

According to the 3986 BNF, I can't see how the beginning "//" doesn't
indicate that the following string, up to the next "/" isn't an
authority.

       relative-part = "//" authority path-abempty
                     / path-absolute
                     / path-noscheme
                     / path-empty

<http://rfc.net/rfc3986.html#s4.2.>