Re: Recognizing a WebDAV enabled client

Michael Wechner schrieb:

> Hi
>
> It's not clear to me how a server can recognize a WebDAV enabled client
> from a GET request and

It can't.

> also how the client can communicate the version of WebDAV which the
> client has implemented.

Same.

Why would the server care?

> I have seen in the spec that one can set  the HTTP header parameter DAV:
> 1,.... but it seems to

No, (in RFC2518) that's a response header. RFC2518bis allows extensions
to use this as a request header, but so far BIND is the only one using it.

> be that nobody is really doing this, but rather people are using
> reserved ports or URI prefixes as workarounds for
> WebDAV GET requests, but which seems to me leads to a lot of code
> duplication and other issues
> (for instance having to open a specific port within a firewall, etc.).
>
> Any pointer re this problem is very much appreciated.

I guess you'll need to explain first what the problem is.

The answer to GET should never depend on whether the client knows about
WebDAV or not.

Best regards, Julian