Re: last calling WebDAV mounting spec, was I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-webdav-mount-01.txt

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> This document looks grossly under specified. I don't even know what mounting
> means. It seems to lack many of the things you would need to make it useful
> for mounting and unmounting removable storage. I suspect I don't understand
> what the document is about. I would be very against the IETF publishing a
> document that someone in the WG could not understand what it did.
>
> Cullen <not as chair>

Fair enough.

Several implementors had no trouble with it, but they knew beforehand
what it was about. So it seems likely the introduction needs to be improved.

When the spec says "mounting", it means what the Intro says...:

"By definition, a WebDAV server ([RFC2518]) is an HTTP server as well
([RFC2616]). Most WebDAV servers can be (at least partly) operated from
an HTML-based user interface in a web browser. However, it is frequently
desirable to be able to switch from an HTML-based view to a presentation
provided by a native WebDAV client, directly supporting the authoring
features defined in WebDAV and related specifications."

If it would go on saying that the in the context of this spec,
"mounting" means exactly this ("switching to a presentation provided by
a native WebDAV client"), would that make things clearer?

Best regards, Julian