Re: BIND and live property value consistency

Geoffrey M Clemm wrote:

> We have gone over these exact arguments many times.
> It is true that we disagree, but that disagreement is over
> a single simple point.
>
> In particular, the authors of the BIND specification believe
> that the semantics of a live property should be defined by
> the specification that introduces that live property,
> and if those semantics of a given live property are to be
> redefined/refined/clarified, that should be done in a
> specification that obsoletes the one with the original definition.

Yes.

> A key question is whether disagreement on such a point
> from a single workgroup participant can veto a specification.

Agreed.

The other point we seem to disagree upon is that BIND should only be
applicable to a certain class of servers that indeed can maintain the
live properties the way many wish. I absolutely agree in that it's a
good thing if a server behaves that way, but I also think that BIND
shouldn't mandate that. We conceivably could do two things:

- in RFC2518bis, clarify the issues that arise because of the
interaction between DAV:get* properties inherited from HTTP and the
WebDAV namespace operations (for instance, state that a server must do
post-namespace-op-cleanup of for instance DAV:getlastmodified; and also
suggest that having strong entity tags that are unique across the
server's whole namespace will make that unnecessary for DAV:getetag)

- define a specific profile (putting additional constraints on the
behaviour of some of these live properties), and make that
client-detectable (for instance through a specific DAV: header option).

Best regards, Julian