Re: WindowsXP and double login challenges

Frank Lowney wrote:
> It's great to see that the WebDAV protocol is relentlessly advancing but, as someone who is trying to get end users to embrace it over older, more established methods, I have to wonder whether the basic aspects of the protocol work well enough to assure a level of acceptance sufficient to sustain the momentum.
>
> Take, for example, the query I posted here a week or so ago (quoted below).  While it's difficult to definitively interpret a non-response, they tend to be interpreted as: yes, that's a problem but there is no solution or workaround.
>
> So, if that is the case with Win2K / WinXP Network Places access to a wide range of WebDAV-enabled servers where end users first and continuing experience with WebDAV is a double login challenge, we should not be surprised to learn that these end users are reluctant to consider change.
>

>>We are currently working with three WebDAV-enabled servers as follows:
>>
>>WebSTAR V v.5.3.2 on MacOS X 10.3.4
>>
>>Apache on MacOS X Server 10.3.4
>>
>>BEA Weblogic (supporting WebCT Vista) on Solaris.
>>
>>Using WindowsXP & 'My Network Places,' we and our various clients and other constituencies are consistently seeing a "double login challenge" in all three cases. We don't see this issue on Win2K Pro or MacOS X.
>>
>>First, can anyone confirm that this is a "Microsoft not following standards again" issue?
>>
>>Second, can anyone suggest a work around that will unburden WinXP WebDAV users from the necessity of meeting this challenge twice?
>>
>>Thanks for any light shed on this issue.

Wow :-)

Keep in mind that your first mail didn't reach the mailing list until
Tuesday:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2004JulSep/0007.html>.

Anyway. Yes, this sounds like a bug in Windows XP's WebDAV
"Mini-Redirector". This client is broken in so many ways that I can't
even connect to my own server, so I never had the opportunity to look
into what else may be broken in it. And yes, I reported these issues to
Microsoft (answer: will not be fixed before Longhorn).

To actually find out what's wrong, you may want to obtain an HTTP trace.
We can study these traces either here or over on dav-dev (the
development list for Apache/moddav).

Hope this helps,