Re: Re (2): Where is an example of using webdav seamlessly...and version files?

That makes sense ... in fact, an interoperable client could have the
following logic:
- if local storage is available, provide a "save" and "save as" operation.
- if the WebDAV server is available:
  - if the resource is under version control, provide a "checkin"
operation
  - otherwise; provide a "publish" operation

Note: we are defining client design issues, rather than protocol issues,
but since the mailing list has been rather quiet and there are a lot of
client implementors on this list, I think this is reasonably on-topic
(if anyone disagrees, please let me or the list know).