Re: Issues remaining with Bind draft

On Mar 24, 2004, at 9:55 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>> For the custom live properties, could PROPPATCH have an effect that
>> affects only
>> the binding address (as noted below, implementations MAY define
>> custom live
>> properties which have different values on different bindings)?
>
> Nope, and I absolutely disagree that live properties may vary
> depending on access path.

I believe servers have already been implemented and deployed where the
live property can vary depending on access path.  For example, in order
to continue to maintain backward compatibility for a custom property
called "parent-path", the server would have to implement bindings in
such a way that "parent-path" was calculated from the request address.

>> I'm trying to work through the implications of this, and having a bit
>> of trouble.
>> Does this imply that a method generating this must be applied both to
>> the
>> binding against which it was targeted and against some other binding
>> to test
>> this?  or does it imply some mechanism of indicating that a property
>> is
>> capable fo divergence?  In the second case, how is that
>> discovered/stored?
>
> There must not be any divergence.

I should have been more clear in my original text.  What I meant was
that when a new live property is specified (e.g. in an Internet-Draft /
RFC), the specification should indicate if the live property may have
different values on different bindings.  Otherwise, the assumption is
that the live property must have the same value on all bindings.
Similarly, when a new report is specified, readers may assume that it
behaves the same on all bindings, unless the specification says
otherwise.

I never envisioned a need or utility in having clients apply methods to
multiple bindings to test this.  I did envision a mechanism to indicate
that a property may diverge on different bindings, but I propose this
should be in the specification where the property is defined.  So there
are no issues for discovery/storage.